Date:      Tue, 16 May 1995 23:35:47 +0100
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@linus.demon.co.uk>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV and device permissions

> From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
> Date: Tue 16 May, 1995
> Subject: Re: MAKEDEV and device permissions

> Do you think it is worth worrying about the following?
>
> 	umask 006
> 	mknod foo c x y
> 			<----- window where group can read and write
> 			<--,
> 	chmod 600 foo	   |-- window where group may be wrong
> 			<--'
> 	chgrp baz foo

It's probably more annoying that the window is there than any real risk.

In my scheme with chmods for everything, you just set a suitably restrictive
umask at the top of the script to close all these!

I find it a good rule of thumb to stick to the order mknod/chown/chmod (and
for a lot more than just MAKEDEV).

(OK, I'll stop pushing my argument now... maybe. ;-)

		Mark.