Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:52:54 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        mbeger@integration.ab.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Server in a mixed Mac and PC environment.

mbeger@integration.ab.ca writes:
> The company that I work for offers some business and Internet solutions
> using FreeBSD.
> We would like to know if FreeBSD will work as a file server in mixed PC
> (WIN95) and MAC office envirnment. There seems to be some question as to
> the ability of the file server to read MAC files and MAC's being able to
> read other files from the file server. An example of the file types in
> question are Adobe Pagemaker and Photoshop. If anyone can tell me if this
> solution is possible, please email me at mbeger@integration.ab.ca

Add NETATALK to your kernel config. Install the netatalk-asun port for
the Macs (netatalk with the asun patches works better with MacOS 8.0 and
newer). Install the samba port for the PC's. And you are cooking with
gas.

All of the cross-platform applications I know of on the Mac place all of
the critical information in the Mac file's data fork. Netatalk places
the data fork in the "normal" place one might expect on a FreeBSD
filesystem. Resource forks get tucked in subdirectories named
.AppleDouble. You should configure Samba to hide the .AppleDouble
directrories.

This past year I've used FreeBSD, Samba, Apache, and Netatalk to run a
repository at work where files are dropped to be shared with everyone
else in the company. The biggest problem is dealing with authentication
and access control. I solve it by declaring, "If you don't have an
account on my box then you can't write on my disk." Meanwhile everyone
inside the company firewall can read the exported/shared directory. Its
also exported read-only via NFS. Its also in Apache's directory space if
anyone wanted to use a web browser to see the files.