Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:46:45 -0500
From:      Chris Costello <chris@holly.dyndns.org>
To:        Thomas Stephens <tas@stephens.org>
Cc:        butthead@icb.spb.su, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, chris@calldei.com
Subject:   Re: ps report

On Tue, Apr 13, 1999, Thomas Stephens wrote:
> Chris Costello wrote:
> >   Unlike Linux, you have to upgrade the whole system to -CURRENT
> >with FreeBSD.  You need to read the "staying current with
> >FreeBSD" section of the handbook.  Knowledge of these things are
> >important if you plan on using -CURRENT.  You'll be seeing a lot
> >of changes when/if you do fully upgrade to the -CURRENT source
> >tree.
>
> Even though the Linux people try to keep the kernel interfaces stable
> (so you can incrementally upgrade the kernel without breaking userland),
> the major distributors still advise against using newer (or older!)
> kernels with their userland packages.
>
> Upgrading only a kernel is a bit like replacing a car's engine with one
> from a newer model.  If it's similar enough that it will fit, and you
> can attach everything properly, it'll probably work (for the most part).
> Nevertheless, you're much better off simply upgrading to the newer
> model (and with FreeBSD, the new model's free :-) ).

   Not quite, unless the engine requires a different sized mount
thingies, and is made out of a different material.

> Upgrading the whole system is obviously more difficult than just
> upgrading the kernel, but the result is better, and it is amazingly easy
> to upgrade FreeBSD (at least in my experience).

   Upgrading FreeBSD's userland and kernel are amazingly easy.

cd /usr/share/examples/cvsup
cvsup -h cvsup.freebsd.org st{andard,able}-supfile
cd /usr/src
make world
cd /usr/src/sys/[platform]/conf
[edit kernel config]
config kernel
cd /sys/compile/kernel
make depend all && make install

--
Chris Costello                                <chris@calldei.com>

If I had it all to do over again, I'd spell creat with an "e".  - Kernighan