Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 97 17:43:42 -0600
From:      Greg Barniskis <gregb@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   VM error: OS or app?

I'm trying to evaluate CNIDR's Isite (which allegedly handles MARC
library records) on a big FreeBSD box, but the Iindex application chokes
if I send it more than a few MB of data, spitting out an error message
about virtual memory:

waiscat: {6} /usr/local/cnidr/Iindex -m 10 -d TESTMARC -t USMARC marcrecs
Iindex 1.14
Building document list ...
Building database TESTMARC:
   Parsing files ...
   Parsing /at02/test/marcrecs ...
   Indexing 1018395 words ...
   Merging index ...
Virtual memory exceeded in `new'
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is this an application error or is it coming from FreeBSD? It seems to
always occur during the "Merging" phase, so I suspect the app... If you
don't know, would you prompt me on where to dig deeper, please? This
process has nearly all of this machine's resources at its disposal, as I
am currently the only one logging in here.

Technical details:
--------------------
FreeBDS 2.1.5  (I know, I'm past due an upgrade or 2)
Tyan TIII P200 with 256M RAM and 512K cache
kernel compiled with "MAXMEM=262144" to enable big RAM
over 650M of swap space (we've got disk space to burn)
Adaptec 2940 UW SCSI card on ahc0 with 4 Quantum Atlas drives
some generic NE2000 card running on ed0
little else of note (let me know if you need more info)
Isite v1.08 and Isearch/Iindex 1.14, all of which compiled without
a peep of complaint (thanks to FreeBSD's brilliant design :)

TIA,

Greg Barniskis                   gregb@scls.lib.wi.us
Network Administrator                  (608) 266-6394
Library Interchange NetworK (LINK)      fax: 266-6068
South Central Library System (SCLS)       Madison, WI