Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:15:46 -0500
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony VAIO, winmodems, etc. (was Re: ftpd bug)

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 09:16:58PM +0000, Terry Lambert scribbled:
| > On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 09:48:26PM +0000, Terry Lambert scribbled:
| > | I wish my Vaio's winmodem worked on FreeBSD.  Same for the
| > | sound card, and don't get me started on DVD playback support.
| >
| > Winmodem can't be helped.
| Yes it can; I've sent a copy of "Sourcer" and the drivers to a
| German friend of mine to document, if it isn't too big a task.

And I will wait....while I use my wavelan card :)

| > But sound and DVD both work on my VAIO z505js
| > Sound was done by "device pcm," and DVD just "worked."
| I'll try the sound.  I'm pretty sure that I will only be able
| to use the DVD as a CDROM drive under BSD, and not be able to
| play DVDs.

I can read DVD data.  The DVD playing *can* be done via DeCSS,
but I ..um...am afraid of lawsuits, etc.

| > Many people have had trouble installing drivers in WinXX.
| Not me.  But I've done protected mode work on both Windows 9x
| and on NT, so I'm probably an exception, being clued and all
| that... ;-).

For example, some newer ATI video cards do not have drivers in Win2k.

| > Lucent seems to have released a winmodem driver for linux.
| There is also the "linmodem" stuff, but neither supports the
| Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax RTAD PCI Modem.

Modems? bah! :)

| > | If you buy a new machine with an old OS, it's supported by
| > | Microsoft for 90 days from date of purchse, so long as the
| > | vendor has a contract with Microsoft.
| >
| > If you buy a new machine from Telenet with FreeBSD or BSD/OS,
| > I think it would be supported...
| > But, are you buying FreeBSD when you do an FTP install?

| painful               XFree86 1024x768; I can supply a config file, if
|               someone decides they need one.  The chipset is not
|               quite supported, so much of the acceleration is
|               currently disabled; big deal, the thing is a 750MHz
|               Pentium III on a laptop.
| config?               Sound not currently working

-current 08092000 has never crashed on me, and pcm works well.

| config?               APM not currently working

Mine works well, fxp0/usb resumes and comes back up.
Suspend-to-disk suspend-to-memory both work.
APM sometimes doesn't report the right battery time. However,
the battery percentage is always correct

| broken                Rockwell HCF Data Fax RTAD PCI Modem (winmodem)
| broken                Fn-key keyboard based sound, brightness, monitor,
|               sleep, and suspend mode controls

That's a windows driver thing, neither does the JogDial work.

| config?               Windows and menu keys on keyboard

Works as meta keys for me in X.

| config?               Touchpad single/double click is overly sensitive

You can change that via a moused undocumented option.

| config?               No third button (can touchpad be discriminated?)

I just set my 3-button emulation to have a 500ms delay.

| untried               Firewire (no FreeBSD video apps)
| untried               IR (no FreeBSD stuff for IR printers)
| untried               USB (no USB keyboard arrived via UPS, yet)

USB mouse/keyboard/printer works.

The memory stick slot works as a umass0->da0 device and controllable
via camcontrol.

| Overall, I'm pretty happy with the thing for doing work, and, of
| course, if I really need to watch a DVD, or use the modem, or the
| other features broken in FreeBSD, I can boot Windows and tolerate
| it long enough to use the Windows-only stuff.

Same here.

| The thing is a hell of a lot faster than the desktop I used at
| Whistle; I've already got 2.8M lines of code in my CVS repository
| on the thing, so it's an OK CVS server, too.

| Has anyone used the optional R/W CDROM to burn a CD on one of
| these things yet?  Network backups are a pain.

Btw, the PCMCIA CDROM/CDRW/DVD-ROM can all boot from CD's.
There is an option in the BIOS (push ctrl-f2 during boot) to
do that.  Even USB floppy boots FreeBSD thanks to JHB.