Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 02:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/19119: un-forbid x11/XFree86-4 and unbreak its xterm

The following reply was made to PR ports/19119; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To: Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:07:34 +0200

 Thus spake Trevor Johnson (trevor@jpj.net):

 > The port is forbidden because of a security problem, for which I've made a
 > patch.  Also, the xterm shipped with it has an annoying bug, which Thomas
 > Dickey, the maintainer of the program, has corrected:

 There might be more security problems.
 The real problem is running it setuid root, and not with a wrapper, as
 the 3.x ports did, which is also the correct fix.

 That of course doesn't mean, that your patch is incorrrect, I only
 say, that it still should kept FORBIDDEN.

 Did you back-contribute your patches to the XFree86 authors?

 Alex

 --
 This is a FreeBSD advocacy ~/.sig.