Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 14:02:20 -0800 (PDT)
From:      cooldoug@hushmail.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD ROM

At Wed, 24 May 2000 13:42:07 -0700, Gary Kline <kline@tera.com> wrote:
>> I've purchased  your FreeBSD 4.0 CD's with the intent of  looking
>at the
>> INET (C) source code.
>> I don't want to install the operating system on my PC (currently running
>> NT, ick).
>>
>> Is it possible to  install the software without installing the OS
>on my
>> PC, thus extracting the
>> source code?
>>
>> If not, are the source code  files extractable from the CD in some
>other
>> manner?
>> (I've had no luck with the *.tgz files in \packages\all directory
>using
>> winzip)
>>

>	Unless there is a new Micro$oft FreeBSD emulator out there,
>	you will need to install the Berkeley OS itself to run FBSD
>	binaries.
>
>	If you have expertise in software porting you could try
>	porting the source, or parts of it.
>
>	Dunno how you can gunzip and untar the tarballs, but the
>	source is probably on the Life Filesystem CD.
>
>	---Anybody else?

Sure. I don't think he wants to run the binaries. And winzip on win32 will
unzip gnuzipped stuff. So will java's jar, interestingly enough.
 But probably the simplest solution would be to ftp to "the site" and
simply browse through whatever he wants,  wouldn't it?

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  If you are not using HushMail, this message could have been read easily by the many people who have access to your open personal email messages.