Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:11:47 -0500
From:      Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@rfa.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: performance issues: linux aic7xxx, 29160, Radion IFT-7200

Hello again,

Adjusting the tagged command queuing value hasn't improved performance
as measured with hdparm -t.

Working with the 2.4.18 kernel, aic7xxx version 6.2.5 and queue depths
ranging from 0-32 I have consistently gotten results in the range of
13-16 MB/s using hdparm -t. With the old 5.2.4 driver hdparm -t gives
results of 47 MB/s.

Is there something else I can do to try to get better performance with
the new driver?

You made a distinction between sequential and non-sequential workloads.
This raid is currently 610GB. We intend to use it for storing mp3
archives of our broadcasts. Each file is typically around 7MB. The
workload on the raid will be mainly reading and writing these mp3 files.
To my mind this means the workload will largely be sequential...But, I'm
not sure that I'm thinking clearly about this issue. Given are intended
use of this raid, what advice do have with regard to what kind of
performance I should be trying to achieve and how to measure it? Is
hdparm a good enough test?

Thank you for any help you can give,

ERic Rz.