Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 1995 07:26:37 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com, freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: current breaks 2.0.5 binary

>By the way, I recompiled top on my machine (with the new kernel), and
>now I get this:
>
>=======
>>> top
>kvm_open: proc size mismatch (35520 total, 620 chunks)
>top: Out of memory.
>=======
>
>Do we need an additional patch?

   No. I did mention, however, that libkvm must be rebuilt:

"  NOTE: libkvm, w, ps, 'top', and any other utility which depends on struct
         proc or any VM system structure will have to be rebuilt!!!   "

   People need to be more aware about how to deal with these kinds of problems;
there are a great many changes that are going to be made in the future to the
2.2 kernel that will cause even worse problems then this last round of changes.
It's important for people who wish to run -current to know how to deal with
things like "ps" not working as expected.
   Further, it is *escential* that you be sure to keep your LKMs up to date
(even when you don't think you are or will be using them). There are going
to be many significant changes to the FS layers that will make old LKMs not
work and using them will kill your system.

-DG