Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 21:13:33 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time problem?

>> >I followed Tony Li's advice and started ntpd again on the machine with
>> >no local reference clocks and the machine has now been up for more than
>> >24 hours with no jumps at all, so it looks like it is calling nanotime()
>> >from within the sio interrupt that causes the problems. :-(
>>
>> yes, that may not be entirely safe to do according to Bruce.
>>
>> >So what are my options then? Can I somehow run the sio interrupts at
>> >a lower priority? I would really prefer to have the pps signal on the
>> >serial port, because the port is already used to read the serial stream
>> >from the GPS.
>>
>> I don't know :-)
>
>Hmmm, so it seems that I'll have to get the soldering out and get the
>pps signal hooked up to the printer port to see if that works better. :-)

He's not too happy about that either...

>What I do know is the way you calculate the second pararameter for
>hardpps() in your printer port pps driver and the way I did it in
>my patch, seems to make it very unstable. :-)

yes, that parameter is a kludge for the hardclock() interpolation stuff
which Dave Mills wrote for alphas.

>> And it doesn't happen if you run !SMP with the TSC timecounter, right ?
>
>I'll have a look at it again.

Please do, because the TSC doesn't require the interrupts to be disabled,
so that would be a very valuable datapoint for us...

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal