Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:46:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "Frank Ronny Larsen" <crazyfraggle@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad 400E + 3C589D

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD on an IBM Thinkpad 600E. I tried installing
> 3.4-release with PAO, but it had a tendency to crash during install on
> random points.

That's because of FreeBSD's memory handling.  You would have been able
to isntall if you had < 64MB in the laptop.

 I decided to go for the 4.0-current instead, since I read
> somewhere that this should be working fine with the Thinkpad 600E. The
> install went smoothly from a snapshot CD.

Great, I hope Mike Smith picks up on this...

> However, when I try to install the network card, a 3Com Ethernet III 3C589D,
> I run into a lot of problems. First of all, I had a lot of hasle with the
> pccardd claiming there was no more free IRQ and/or I/O space. This was
> solved by forcing IRQ 13 in the pccard.conf file.

IRQ 13 is used, but it's not used by any device that FreeBSD recognizes.

You should be able to use either IRQ 9 or 10, which work for me.  I have
my 589 on IRQ 10 and my modem on IRQ 9, and they work fine.

> Now I get the card initialized and sort of working. If I try to ping another
> machine (ie. the router) I usually do not get any response. Just a few ACK's
> come through, sometimes after 110 secs.

This is because the watchdog timeout is causing packets to come through,
but IRQ's are not working.

You need to try another IRQ until it works.  Yes, this is a pain,  but
it's the way things are for now.

> Also, for some reason the card is allocated as ep1, since the pccardd claims
> that ep0 is occupied.

That's weird.  My guess is that somehow the boot process is picking up
that ep0 is in use during the probe.

Nate