Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:36:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Damon Hammis <squirrel@hammis.com>
To:        Michael L Artz <slyph@MIT.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw without nat-ing?

> Is it possible to use ipfw without using some sort of NAT?  I have a
> small subset of a class C network for home and want to set up a
> FreeBSD firewall.  I don't want to use any sort of NAT because of its
> limitations (games, realplayer, etc) and because I have the IPs, so I
> might as well use them.  I have read all of the docs that I could find
> and all of them say to use NAT ....

I've set up ipfw without NAT many times before and it works just fine, so
yes, you can.

> Another little question ... when setting up a FreeBSD router, can both
> network cards have the same IP?  for example, if I have DSL coming to
> my house with static IPs 208.208.208.1 - 208.208.208.7, can I set up
> my FreeBSD machine as a router right at the DSL and have it look to
> the inside and the outside world that it is 208.208.208.1?  I know
> this is unnecessary for just a router, but I eventually want to set it
> up with a firewall.

No.  The two NICs need to have separate ips.  I have a FreeBSD router at
home that I use with my dialup.  My modem connects and gets an ip 1.1.1.1,
and my NIC card has the ip 1.1.1.2.  DHCP then assigns all of the rest of
the computers in my network ips.

Hope this helps.

--Damon