Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 08:46:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Wade <mwade@cdc.net>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@ethereal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rate limiting

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Jamie Norwood wrote:

> If I am using a FreeBSD box as a firewall, can I set up
> rate-limiting? IE, can I say that news can only use X KB/s, Quake
> can only use Y, and so on? I have a machine I run here that I basically
> want to always have bandwidth, even when I am playing quaake or reading
> news on my other machine.

Look into dummynet (part of ipfw now, man dummynet) and the ALTQ package
(http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/programs.html) for FreeBSD.

Example usage of dummynet to simulate a 128k ISDN link on <your ip>:

ipfw pipe 1 config bw 128Kbit/s
ipfw add 1000 pipe 1 ip from <your ip> to any in recv <your interface>
ipfw add 1001 pipe 1 ip from any to <your ip> out xmit <your interface>

---
Mike Wade (mwade@cdc.net)
Director of Systems Administration
CDC Internet, Inc.