Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 19:31:01 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Kimio Ishii <ishii@csl.sony.co.jp>
Cc:        vagner@spdc.ti.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB awe 32 pnp

Kimio Ishii:
 |From: vagner@spdc.ti.com (George Vagner)
 |
 |> What do I need in order to use my sound blaster awe PNP board under
 |> freebsd 2.2.2  ??
 |
 |SB AWE 32/64 driver's page for Linux/FreeBSD is below.
 |
 |check  http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/midi.html

And the port of a recent version of this driver (w/ a few apps and utils)
for FreeBSD 2.2.* can be found at:

     http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv

Note that this driver only provides synth support, pretty near all that
distinguishes an AWE32/64 or SB32 from a SB16 hardware-wise.  The rest of
your card is supported through the existing Sound Blaster and Sound Blaster
16 drivers.

The SB & SB16 drivers delivered with 2.2.* should work fine for you if you
grab the ISA PnP tools to get the card inited (so the driver will find it).
The AWEDRV patch at the URL above will apply cleanly on top of this.
You'll want a section in your kernel config file something like this:

    controller      snd0
    device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
    device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
    device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
    device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
    #device awe0     at isa? port 0x620

Alternatively as suggested, try the drivers Amancio and/or Luigi are
working on that have PnP support built-in.  These are work-in-progress, but
you won't need the PnP tools.  I'm not up on the latest status of Luigi's
for SB16+ cards, but last I tried Amancio's driver (2wks ago), it works
well for play (just some pops on AU files that you don't hear with the 3.0
drivers).  16-bit record isn't quite there yet, and there are some
occasional 8-10 sec close hangs.  But this driver will get you sound in
Quake if that interests you.

Randall Hopper