Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 2010 19:13:55 +0100
From:      Patrick Ale <patrick.ale@gmail.com>
To:        Steven Friedrich <freebsd@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Attansic L1 Gigabit discovered on install but no link

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Steven Friedrich <freebsd@insightbb.com> w=
rote:
> On Tuesday 16 February 2010 07:29:35 am Patrick Ale wrote:

> I don't want to stop you from pursuing getting this NIC working, but why =
don't
> you have an option here? =A0I would suspect that your laptop has USB port=
s and
> Netgear and others make USB Ethernet in wired and wireless versions. I ha=
ven't
> checked to see if any are gigabit speed, but connecting at a slower speed
> beats no connection. 8o)

Hi,

You have a good point there actually, I could buy a new card for USB
or PCI-E if the need was really high.
Then again, I run two other OS-es on this laptop without network
problems so it would be more economical to just boot to Solaris 10 or
Linux when I need network.

It's not a biggie for me if the network card doesn't work under
FreeBSD, I want to mess with it localy mainly. Then again, if there is
a driver shipped with an operating system and it doesn't seem to work,
I'd like to report it and see how I can help out.

So yea, just to make it very clear, I am not in a rush or will go
completely beserk like I see some people do by reading back the
mailing archives cause "their newest 10gigabit Wantastic Ethernet card
with coffee making capabilities from late 2009 doesn't work under the
latest FreeBSD release and how come it works under Windows, FreeBSD is
imature" ;-)

On a serious note though, there is a driver shipped with FreeBSD 8.0
and I assume it is there cause it's believed to work. Any pointer to
getting this card would be highly appreciated, kernel reconfiguration
hints, patches, external code, I am all in for it.

Thanks all!

Patrick