Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:12:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        Planning & Construction <pcainc@planning-construction.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp installation

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Planning & Construction wrote:

> I'm trying my hardest to install FreeBSD over an anonymous FTP but it
> always quits at the same place (doesn't lock up or anything, just keep
> reading).
>
> I made the boot disk correctly as far as I can tell. I booted off it
> went through the kernel configuration, all my hardware was seen just
> fine (except my AWE64, I can't remember what the deal was with it, but
> it didn't seem like it was causing any problem). Anyway, after that the
> installation went on and I pick "All" for what to install, "Anonymous
> FTP" for installation and chose "www6.freebsd.org" for the server (I'm
> pretty sure that's the one in Indiana and that's fairly close to me)
>
> >From what I remember next was the network configuration, and I think
> this is where I need help. Filling out that form to my best abilities
> (name server, domain, ip address(local?), netmask, etc...) I did manage
> to get over to VTY3 and dial out and logon, etc... there I was given the
> option to start a PPP session so I did, nothing much happened so I
> ALT-F1'ed over to the installation and got a message that
> www6.freebsd.org couldn't be found and then my modem disconnected
> itself.
>
> I've got a feeling that my network configuration entries aren't correct,
> so my questions are:
> 1) What answers are absolutely necessary to the installation?

Nameserver, gateway, and netmask.

> 2) If I don't know the answers where can I find them (a FreeBSD
> installation utility that tells me my IP address, my ISP's web site for
> domain, etc...) ?

You need to get all the information from your ISP.  They don't need to
know that you're using FreeBSD (tell them that and they'll either look at
the phone funny or they'll say they don't support UNIX.)  Just ask for the
nameservers, domain, gateway, and netmask.

In general:

Host:  Whatever you want.  Give your computer a name.
Domain:  mci.net probably.  (get from them)
Gateway: Get from them.
Nameserver:  204.71.75.133  (I'm guessing here, verify with them.
                             It looks like they have 4 nameservers.
                             You just enter the primary here.
                             You can add up to two additional later.)
IP Address:  0.0.0.0        (If they assign it dynamically.)
Netmask:  255.255.255.0 probably.
Extra options to ifconfig:  blank

> 3) What do need to accomplish in the terminal?

Connect to the ISP and authenticate yourself.

I think this part of the installation could be improved, as it assumes
that you know the user-ppp commands.

However, you can try:

ppp ON myhost> set ifaddr 0 0
ppp ON myhost> add 0 0 HISADDR
ppp ON myhost> term
Interactive mode

ATZ
OK
ATDTxxx-xxxx
CONNECT

ogin:  username
assword:  ******

Beginning PPP from someip to yourip
(((%(&($((G((G((G(G(%($EFJE(EST(((( and whatnot

if you then get:

PPP ON myhost>

Then you're ready to go.  (Note the ppp is now capital.)

If not try:

ppp ON myhost> delete ALL
ppp ON myhost> add 0 0 HISADDR
PPP ON myhost>