Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 2003 17:28:45 +0100
From:      Tijl Coosemans <tijl@ulyssis.org>
To:        Raakesh Tailor <raakesh.tailor@nildram.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help i forgot my password

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:33:57 -0000, Raakesh Tailor wrote:

> i havent used my freebsd box for a little while now, iv run into a
> problem i though i knew what the password was to get in but it doesnt
> like it is there a way i can retrieve the root password without having
> to re-install the whole thing or to change the root password.  Please
> help as i have got a new job and want to make use of my unix box

I suppose this is a faq, but anyway, during boot up there's a prompt
which says to hit enter to boot /kernel or something like that. It times
out after 10 seconds (default). Hit any other key than enter and
type "boot-s" to boot in single user mode. You should then get a shell
prompt where you run these commands:

# fsck -p
# mount -a -t ufs
# swapon -a