Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 23:34:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.9-stable & Linksys router won't talk with each other

Hello:

I'm having problems getting a FreeBSD machine and a Linksys
WRT54G talking with each other.

Interfaces:
dc0 - "public" to outside network(s)
dc1 - internal 192.168.0.0/24
dc2 - internal 192.168.1.100/24, currently unused, gets the router (testing)
dc3 - currently unused

OS: FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE as of 10 December 2003
firewall: ipfw2
Running natd between dc0 & dc1 (& that works fine)

dc0 gets its IP address, etc., via DHCP/dhclient.
dc1 is configures statically & machines connected on that subnet work fine.
dc2 should get its ip address, etc. from a Linksys WRT54G,
    but won't; syslog says "address in use."

Problems/questions:

dc2 has a Linksys WRT54G on it, & thus far, that box refuses
to talk (not even ping/traceroute) with the fbsd machine,
even if I set its ip-address & that of dc2 manually.  (The
Linksys defaults to running a dhcp server & its
factory-supplied ip-address is 192.168.1.00 & it "tries" to
setup the first interface talking to it to be 192.168.1.1).
I've even configured that router/wap to "all-static" using a
Windows2000 machine & it & the FreeBSD machine still won't
talk with each other.

Any ideas on getting this thing to work?  It seems to work
fine when connected to a Windows2000 machine.
Yes, I've tried other interfaces & cables, etc, so I'm
confident the hardware is fine. :)

FAQs/documentation pointers are quite welcome. :)

Thanks,

-kc