Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:14:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   VMWare plug/quickie tests.

I've been running VM Ware under NT for a few days now, booting FreeBSD and
other OS's.

In some quick testing:

The host machine is NT 4.0, SP5, 384MB RAM, dual 450 PII's.

  The guest OS is FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE, configured with the VMWARE 512MB
disk, and 32MB RAM allocated

  Compiling a generic kernel from scratch came out:

  156.7u 64.3s 5:04.63 72.5%, ...149pf

On a PII 300 with IDE disks, 128MB RAM, it was:  (3.2-stable)

  205.7u 17.9s 6:56.37 53.7%, ...32pf+0w

All in all, not too shabby.  So far it hasn't crashed, although I am not
running X in the guest session yet, just using it in console mode.

It has some weird pauses and stuff when it boots up, and the boot loader
spinner creeps along, but once it's up and running, it's fine.

I can see the utility of this pretty easily.  Just wish it wasn't 400
bucks.

I'm going to do some testing between VM's and such, and see how it goes.

Next stop, 4.0-current.

It doesn't consume any CPU cycles that I can see while idle, and running
it at the standard priorities isn't affecting my NT stuff at all...

I could grow to like it.