Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 1995 00:49:35 +1000 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@asstdc.scgt.oz.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   IDE - 32bit .. yes but no :-(

I have a machine which has (literally) an el cheapo VLB IDE controller
attached to a Quantum Maverick 540A. The problem with both the 950412 SNAP
and the one before it is that, by default, it will try to set up 32bit mode.

This would be fine, if it worked .. instead, having rebooted from a fresh
install, a barrage of error messages such as ..

/kernel: wd0e: soft error writing fsbn <pick-a-number> of <range-of-nos>
(wd0 bn <yet-another-no>; cn ...)wd0: status 50<seekdone> error 10<no_id>

 .. fill the screen :-(.

Needless to say, whilst the error message implies that it was probably
recoverable, the stuff that's written is junk. There is no recognisable
pattern in the block numbers, cylinders, tracks or sectors that would
indicate a consistent math problem,

Whilst I don't mind a system that tells me I've been too cheap (:-)),
there's currently no way AFAIK of disabling this other than to hack the
source (force the bcmp 32bit test == 1 in wd.c) but you can't get that
far from this installation state ..

	michael