Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:56:32 +0100
From:      "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Corruption of file attachments passing late BSD relayers

Thanks for your input, Mark.

> This is not corruption. M$ proprietry files are binary so they are
> being uuencoded (which maps 3 bytes into 4 so that all bytes can
> be represented in printable chars). This explains the 30% increase
> in size and the CR/LF's as uuencode also splits the resultant file
> into fixed length lines. All you need is to uudecode(1) them.
> Netscape can do this and I'm sure that even M$ mail readers can as
> well; we have a mix of Unix and M$ (Outlook) systems at work and
> passing binary attachments poses no problems.

We don't use uuencode, Mark, since mime can reputedly handle the special =
characters in European languages better than uuencode.  All the files =
are mime encoded.

What I have discovered is that all mails, both corrupt and noncorrupt =
are 30% increased in size as mails.  It is when one tries to save the =
file to disk that the good files reduce back to the 30k file size and =
the bad files remain at the 40k expanded size.

WhenI examine the messages with a hex editor I can see that the two =
files include exactly the same information with the exception of the =
header.  In the bad files this includes considerably more 'next_part' =
tags, and the file ends with a 'next_part' tag.

mvh/regards

James Wilde