Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:09:00 +0100
From:      Matt Smith <matt@xtaz.co.uk>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
Subject:   Re: 9.1 RELENG_9 Unable to cleanly dismount root partition on shutdown

On 2012-08-27 14:56, Warren Block wrote:

> Stefan called it.  The newfs is done on /dev/gpt/gptroot, no problem
> there.  But when glabel writes to /dev/ada0p2--which is
> /dev/gpt/gptroot, same thing, it overwrites the last block.  And then
> the filesystem is mounted with the glabel device, which is actually
> one block smaller than the filesystem expects.
>
> Could be either the filesystem or GEOM that's causing the failure at
> shutdown.
>
> Happily, those glabels aren't accomplishing anything useful and can
> be skipped.  Removing the glabels and changing the devices in fstab
> might be enough.  A more cautious approach would be to back up,
> newfs,
> skip the glabel step, and then change the devices in fstab.

As I said on a previous mail I did boot it with a USB stick and cleared
the glabel metadata and altered the fstab to point to both the GPT
labels and the raw UFS device and I still get the issue. So am I right
in thinking then that this has caused irreparable damage and the only
way I can fix this now is to newfs the filesystem again, this time just
using GPT labels and not using glabel at all?

This is the first time I've ever done a manually partitioned
installation with GPT and alignment, previously I've only ever used
sysinstall with non-aligned MBR installations, so it was a bit of a
learning curve. If I do have to newfs it again then I want to be sure
that I'm doing the correct things so that I don't find myself with any
other issues. So does the rest of what I did look fine?

If it is clearly my own fault then the PR can obviously be closed and
chalked up to learning!