Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 19:35:03 +0300
From:      Anand Buddhdev <arb@africaonline.co.ke>
To:        "Eric S. Nooden" <noodene@beloit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is TOOR and what does it do?

On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 11:21:30AM -0500, Eric S. Nooden wrote:

> Can someone tell me what Toor (other than root spelled backwards) is and
> what it does?  Can I remove it or is it necessary to run/maintain the
> machine?  I read on the questions list that the account was used to break
> into a machine.

toor used to be installed as a user so that if the sysadmin forgot the root
account, or was unable to log into it somehow, s/he could use toor instead,
which has the same privileges as root. On FreeBSD, by default, there is a
toor, but its password is locked. In my opinion, it is not necessary to
have the toor account, since one can always boot into single user mode and
restore the root password. I suppose you can remove it without any adverse
effects.

--
System Administrator
See complete headers for address, homepage and phone numbers