Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 21:13:53 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        matt <matt@BabCom.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tty's

In the last episode (Nov 03), matt said:
> 	This might be a stupid question that I'm missing the obvious
> on, but I'm doing a little planning ahead for the future tonight, and
> am wondering, that since network logins go to ttyp[0-9 a-v] (on my
> system, I don't have ttyp{w|x|y|z}) What happens after all those
> ttyp's are used up, where do logins and other things that use ttyp's
> (Screen, etc) go to? Is there something one can do to increase that,
> I see in /etc/ttys that there is ttyq,ttyr,etc but I don't see them
> in /dev, nor does MAKEDEV want to make them as far as I can tell.

Ptys aren't just ptyp*; the full set of pty nodes consist of the
filenames pty[pqrsPQRS][0-9a-v].  The last character only goes to 'v'
because that gives an even power of 2 (32) combinations.  8*32 = 256
total devices.

If you don't see them in /dev, run "./MAKEDEV pty0 pty1 pty2 pty3 pty4 pty5
pty6 pty7", which will create all 256 device files.

> Please cc' me, as I'm not on this list due to the high volume of
> traffic it generates. Thank you in advance.

(this is standard operating procedure on all the FreeBSD lists, BTW)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com