Date:      Sat, 24 Sep 2022 07:07:08 +0000
From:      Amar Takhar <verm@darkbeer.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disabling CPUs

On 2022-09-23 22:58 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Thanks, Amar! I'll give this a try tomorrow.

No problem!

> Have you compared performance using only P cores vs. only E cores? My testing
> (using only cpuset) compiles C faster with 8 E cores than 2 P cores (4 "CPUs").

Well my CPU has 8 P-cores, 16 with HT and then 8 E-cores so I'm always going to
do better with the P cores.  The boost is different on the P cores as well and
I'm using DDR5 memory which is also better from what I've heard with P cores.

> By any chance have you run a VirtualBox VM? I have found that a Windows 10 VM
> loads, but the system panics as soon as the VM starts running. I have a couple
> of things to try that could be triggering the problem. Notably, I have 3D HW
> acceleration enabled and, since it is not available with scfb, it's a possible
> cause.

Oh boy.. I was actually planning on doing this in the next few days Wine isn't
cutting it for a few programs.  I use emulators/libc6-shim/ to turn CUDA on for
my FreeBSD apps and another one for Linux you could try that it's been amazing
to have CUDA on FreeBSD.

> I'm getting tired of trailblazing! My current laptop did not have a working Wii
> interface until iwlwifi. I had een almost no comments on CURRENT, soi I had no
> idea how much trouble I was gettig into.

haha well I still use this as my main workstation it's really annoying losing
1/2 my cores but it is what it is.  Wait until you get to the sound issues.  I
haven't had time to dig real deep into what's going on with that but it's
starting to get really annoying as well.  I'm sure this all has the same root
problem.

Amar.