Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 20:48:26 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   Re: AWE 64 MIDI config -- Success

On 19-Nov-97 Randall Hopper wrote:
> Conrad Sabatier:
>  |On 18-Nov-97 Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>  |>
>  |> as i already posted yesterday, the docs from the Linux support for the
>  |> AWExx say that the card actually uses three (3) addresses, which are
>  |> (going from memory here) 0x620, 0xa20, 0xe20. You have to set all three
>  |> in your PnP config menu otherwise the proba fails.
>  |Yes, YES, *YES*!  That was it!  I was only configuring the base AWE address
>  |(0x620) before.  Finally, I now have a fully functioning AWE64 working
>  |under FreeBSD!  Drvmidi works!  Sounds great, too!  Joy!  Rapture!
>  |Thank you so much, Luigi and Randall!
>
> Hey, cool!  Most thanks to Luigi for his PnP code.

Indeed!

> If you'll take a minute to write up just what you did (driver
> versions/URLs, relevent kernel config file blurbs, FreeBSD version used,
> kernel patches, etc.), I will put a link to this off the AWEDRV home page.
>
> You may not "how _many_" SB32/AWE32/AWE64*PnP owners have posted to the
> lists or mailed me in recent months about getting past the PnP problems
> (lots).
>
> All would find your instructions _very_ helpful!

For sure!  See my followup to Amancio's request for the same, where I posted in
detail what I did.

> Have fun!

I am!  :-)

> Randall
>
> P.S. Now, in case you don't have some, you'll want some larger MIDI
>      soundfonts to stuff in your wavetable mem that'll make it sound even
>      better!
>
>      For some that'll fit in 1M, 2M, and 8M, respectively, check out:
>
>            http://www.lysator.liu.se/awe/
>
>      in particular:
>
>            http://www.edu.isy.liu.se/~d93jesno/sfindex.html
>
>      under the "Other" section.  Having 2M of mem myself, I have this in
>      my /etc/rc.local to load the second one (guit_gm.sbk):
>
>      nice -20 sfxload -i -V 100 /opt/pkg/awedrv/lib/guit_gm.sbk &
>
>      so the wavetable is primed and ready for MIDIs :-)

:-(  I still only have the default 512K on mine.  :-(  Is upgrading fairly
cheap?

> P.S.S. Wanna a .tgz of a bunch of cool MIDI files?

Sure!  Send 'em over!  :-)

Damn, this is exciting!  :-)

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads

And the Deep Thought of the Day (tm) is:

Laetrile is the pits