Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:14:27 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@siemens.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AIC7902 w/ seagate U320 drive issue on releng-4 (and current)

On Tue, 29-Jul-2003 at 13:50:47 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Don Bowman wrote:
>

> > > From: The Hermit Hacker [mailto:scrappy@hub.org]
> > >
> > > Just as an FYI, we just downloaded the 006 firmware this afternoon ...
> > >

> > Can you please confirm this is 006? Seagate has just re-confirmed
> > that 005 is the latest firmware available for these drives.
>
> just upgraded all 6 drives:
>
> mars# camcontrol devlist
> <SEAGATE ST336607LC 0006>          at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
> <SEAGATE ST336607LC 0006>          at scbus1 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
> <SEAGATE ST336607LC 0006>          at scbus1 target 2 lun 0 (pass2,da2)
> <SEAGATE ST336607LC 0006>          at scbus1 target 3 lun 0 (pass3,da3)
> <SEAGATE ST336607LC 0006>          at scbus1 target 4 lun 0 (pass4,da4)
> <SEAGATE ST336607LC 0006>          at scbus1 target 5 lun 0 (pass5,da5)
>
> fwprog works great, but warning for anyone else using it ... pass1-5 went
> fine, but since pass0 was my 'root drive', it required a cold boot after
> the upgrade, as it seemed to have locked up the bus ...

Yes. If have seen this also when playing around. It is generally a
good idea to unmount the drive in question. When updating the root
drive, single user mode is preferrable.

The code was a private, experimental hack. I wanted to understand
what Marc Frajola is doing there and how it works. Later I added
support for other vendors. Maybe it would be a good idea to spit
out a warning message at the start -- reminding the user that
nothing else should access the drive during the upgrade.

However, the nicest thing would be if I could, let's say, lock
the device for exclusive use but I have no idea how this could
be done. I don't think I can simply pass O_EXLOCK to the
cam_open_spec_device call :-).

	-Andre