Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 18:50:17 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        PJourdan <info@lespetitsplaisirs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to mount raid disk?

PJourdan writes:

How can I mount a fasttrack ntfs raid?
dmesg shows:
ar0: 34413MB <ATA RAID0 array> [4387/255/63] subdisks:
   ad4: 17206MB <WDC AC418000D> [34960/16/63] at ata2-master UDMA66
   ad6: 17206MB <WDC AC418000D> [34960/16/63] at ata2-master UDMA66
[snip]
There is no mention in the disk naming conventions of Promise Fasttrack.
There is no info re this on the mailing archives; nothing on Google.
To mount, I have tried:
mount -t ntfs /dev/ar0 /ms_raid [this directory has been created]
mount -t ntfs /dev/ar0a /ms_raid
mount -t ntfs /dev/ar0s1 /ms_raid
all give syntax errors
if I enter mount /dev/ar0 /ms_raid, I get message: wrong super block...
[snip]

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The man pages (available as a link on the left side of the FreeBSD home
page, or on your system by typing "man [command of interest]" (no
quotes, no brackets)) say mount_ntfs is the command.  I have a RAID
array with a Promise controller, also recognized as ar0.  Just tested
the following as root, and it worked for me:

mount_ntfs /dev/ar0s1 /mnt

Then to unmount:

umount /mnt

(This will fail if you try it while your current working directory is
/mnt or anything under it - you'll get an error message that the device
is busy.)

I understand there are problems writing to NTFS from FreeBSD, though not
reading from it.  You can use a FAT32 partition as an intermediary to
move files from FreeBSD to NTFS.  A friend once suggested installing the
Samba port to do this; I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it works.

Jud