Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 18:39:22 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   install problem for Stable snapshot

Hello,

I've just dowloaded the latest available -Stable snapshot (990412) :
bin, man and ssys ditributions plus boot and kern floppies.

I'm trying to install this snapshot via FTP from a Solaris server on a
plain-vanila 486 with 12 Megs of RAM and around 200 Megs of disk (this
machine, built by Intel, used to run a 990218 3.1-Stable snapshot, and
before ran a 2.2.x release).

After some initial errors (because of not reading the explanations), I'm
stuck with an incomplete install : the ftp transfer stops in the middle
of the bin distrib with these error messages :

on VTY1

Write failure on transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 1024 bytes)

on VTY2

usr/lib/libxpg4.a
/stand/gunzip: <fd:0>: oversubscribed literal/length tree
usr/lib/libxpg4.so.2
usr/lib/libxpg4.so
/stand/cpio: premature end of file

The error is repeatable (already two iterations)

The loader starts, but there is no kernel on the disk

What should I do ? (revert to the previous snapshot ?)

	Thanks in Advance

	TfH