Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2014 08:49:18 -0700
From:      Jim Harris <jim.harris@gmail.com>
To:        Rui Paulo <rpaulo@me.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>
Subject:   Re: Intel DPDK added to FreeBSD ports collection

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:41 AM, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@me.com> wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2014, at 05:13, Eggert, Lars <lars@netapp.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 2014-10-20, at 17:40, Jim Harris <jimharris@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >> Just wanted to send a heads-up that Intel's Data Plane Development Kit
> >> (DPDK) for high speed packet processing was added to the FreeBSD ports
> >> collection last week under net/dpdk.
> >> For any questions, please check out dpdk.org and the developer mailing
> list
> >> (dev@dpdk.org).
> >
> > that list seems to be more about the development of the kit, rather that
> about using the kit?

dev@dpdk.org is mostly development related, but I have seen lots of
questions like yours on the list too.

> > I've started to play with DPDK under FreeBSD, and am getting the
> following warning:
> >
> > EAL: WARNING: clock_gettime cannot use CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW and HPET is
> not available - clock timings may be less accurate.
> >
> > This is with the HPET changes rpaulo@ recently committed, and
> /dev/hpet0 is present.
>
> I still haven't fixed DPDK to use /dev/hpet0.  Can you add a symbolic link
> /dev/hpet0 -> /dev/hpet?

This is certainly one problem, but it also looks like DPDK should spit out
an error message when it cannot open /dev/hpet.  So I suspect
CONFIG_RTE_LIBEAL_USE_HPET needs to be set to 'y' as well in your config
file.

-Jim