Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 11:27:34 +0300
From:      sja@tekla.fi (Sakari Jalovaara)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

How about this idea:

Everyone cvsups the bleeding edge RCS files.

If you want to live dangerously, you check out the most recent version
and take your chances with compilation failures.

Those who want "stable-current" check out a "latest known good"
version and compile that.

latest-known-good-date is created with Jordan's build box / cookie
collector scheme.  When everything compiles more-or-less ok, the
checkout time of that version is saved.  When you sup you get a file
that contains that time.  "make world" does
	co -d`cat /usr/src/compile-version-timestamp`
in all directories.

supping the checked-out source gives you stable-current - which is
simply a checkout of the latest known good version.

(Have mercy on me if this is totally silly - I'm new to FreeBSD and
I'm not even using current - yet.)
									++sja