Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 01:50:48 +0400
From:      Igor Nikolaev <igor@pu.ru>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long IDE probes?

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 11:17:19AM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Sep 30), Alfred Perlstein said:
> > why does it take a good 30sec at least to probe the IDE hardware? i
> > have ATAPI in the kernel, except for that, the boot squence would be
> > blazing fast.
>
> /sys/i386/isa/wd.c, around line 105.  Change the TIMEOUT value from
> 10000 to the 3000-4000 range.  That'll cut the max IDE probe time from
> 30 seconds down to like 10.

1. May be this parameter must be kernel option?

2. What about simple `ide` program (man 8 scsi analogous)
for (test geometry, reprobe, initialize, wdcommand) and
other test purposes?

I use ide hot swap changer as fast backup device and
similar program can very facilitate my life.

Thanks,
Igor Nikolaev