Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:42:17 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Greg Prosser <greg@snickers.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installworld / securelevel

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 03:26:01AM -0500, Greg Prosser wrote:
> Is it possible for the FreeBSD Makefile jedi to put a kern.securelevel
> check into the installworld procedure? I'm fairly sure that if key files
> are set as schg, and securelevel as one, causing an installworld to puke
> mid-make probably isn't the ideal state to leave a box in, hoping it'll
> come back after reboot with securelevel lowered. Some of us forget to
> check things occasionally.. *eyes the terminal where ping is running*, I
> think I'm ok this time, but doing more in-depth system upgrades might pose
> a larger problem if userland and kernel aren't in sync..

I'd suggest you write yourself a script and use it religiously.
Securelevels are definaly in the catagory of thing to be used at your
own risk and only with full knowledge of their effects.  I doubt
anyone is going to add anti-foot-shooting code to check for them.  Given
what limited use they are, I never use them.  It's just too much pain.

-- Brooks

--=20

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s--