Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2023 22:16:29 -0400
From:      Kurt Hackenberg <kh@panix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HOME as ~ in default PATH inherited from /etc/login.conf doesn't work for tcsh

On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 09:43:03PM +0800, Jackie wrote:

>What shell are you using as default? Can you confirm that you didn't
>set PATH in any other dot files or in /etc files?

I use bash, and set PATH in ~/.login_conf.

However, I can't reproduce your problem.  I moved aside ~/.login_conf
and its .db, changed my login shell to tcsh, logged out and in, and got
the PATH from /etc/login.conf, with ~/bin expanded.  So I don't know
what's going on.

I did this with FreeBSD 13.2 and tcsh 6.22.04, which apparently comes
with base FreeBSD (it's in /bin).

Runnings "strings" on /etc/login.conf.db shows :path=...~/bin:, so the
expansion is not done when converting the text file to a database.  I
guess it's done during login or shell startup.

I run X and log in through xdm.  Maybe logging in some other way --
console? -- behaves differently?