Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:01:47 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kevin Lo <kevlo@hello.com.tw>
Cc:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD books (was: Amusing: LinuxCountry site runs on FreeBSD :))

On Thursday, 17 June 1999 at 13:58:40 +0800, Kevin Lo wrote:
> Brett Taylor wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> The reason there are so few FreeBSD books:
>>
>>         1)  because FreeBSD is derived from 4.4-BSD, any book on a BSD
>>             Unix will apply (for most situations)
>>
>>         2)  because FreeBSD is typically used by experienced sys admins
>>             whereas Linux has (or had originally) the college hacker;
>>             the experienced admins already have books on BSD style unix
>>
>>         3)  no one, but Greg Lehey has written one;

There are plenty of non-English language books, and there are a couple
of English-language books in planning.

>>             Greg has asked (if I recall a thread from maybe 2 years
>>             ago) O'Reilly if they'd be interested and they said no

Well, they only said no to me :-)  I think that Nate Patwardhan is
writing one, but I'm a little concerned that nobody knows him.

> I saw the O'Reilly book catalog last week, it will publish the book
> "FreeBSD in a Nutshell". I don't know whether it's true or not.

This isn't the book we were talking about a year ago.  I did a search
for "FreeBSD" on the O'Reilly web site, and this is all I found (at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/prkunix/author.html):

  Prior to joining O'Reilly & Associates as UNIX system administrator,
  Nathan Patwardhan was a software developer and system administrator
  for Banta Integrated Media in Cambridge, MA. When not hacking Perl
  or advocating FreeBSD and Linux to his friends, coworkers,
  relatives, and other folks who don't know UNIX from Munich, Nathan
  is an avid music collector.

The reference was to a Perl book.  Maybe you could post your URL.

Greg