Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:33:50 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
Cc:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIC questions

At 03:05 PM 7/27/99 -0500, Mark Tinguely wrote:

>our ATM code is in its infancy. the network stack and driver are in seperate

Thanks for your insights. As I explained before, I dont pretend to
understand much of ATM, but given the info you have provided me, I can at
least compare it to what I have in my books!

>what you are trying to do:

Yes, essentially, we have a cheap fiber connect through our local hydro
company.  OC3 into the MAN for ~$1000 USD with unlimited PVCs.  On our end,
and our customer's ends, we can use pretty well whatever we like for ATM
edge devices.  Typically, what the Hydros and others sell are about $10K
worth of Cisco gear on either end.  If we can get this price down, there
would be a lot more potential customers.  Futhermore, with FreeBSD, we can
add all the services they need in one box.... Packet filtering firewall,
mail server, ftp and web server, as well as VPN type applications.

>PC as software switches:
>
>the bad thing about using PC for small switches is that the cell interrupt

I would imagine the estimated life span on the switch on our end would be
at least a good year.  If we can get 45Mbp performance out of it over
several PVCs, I think it will do us well.  In a years time, a higher end
dedicated ATM switch might be the way to go, and might be at a lower price.
 However, for most of these customers, 1-10Mb for the forseable future
(1-2yrs) is plenty. (we still have some manufacturing sites who are happy
with their UUCP connection to us and dont see the need to change?!?!)

>these are all my opinions.

They are appriciated!

	---Mike