Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 16:27:53 -0500
From:      "Andrew G. Luyt" <drew@penguin.ipunet.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, brooks@one-eyed-alien.net, james.wilde@telia.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

Thus spake Greg Lehey (grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com):

> OK, I've said my piece here, and I disagree entirely.  But it's not up
> to me; I've been using Emacs and similar editors for 20 years.  The
> real question is: what do newbies think?  Anybody want to comment?

Well, speaking as a FreeBSD newbie, and partial Linux convert,
I guess I can comment.  Up until recently I have used vi (vim
to be precise) for all my editing tasks.  I started learning emacs
a couple of weeks ago, and it has now become my main editor for
coding purposes.  The first thing I did however, was to remap
my capslock key to act as ctrl. ;)

I've found out that overall, my productivity has gone up with
emacs, though there are special circumstances where I say to
myself 'grrr, I wish I were using vi'.  I have yet to figure
out how to repeat my last command in emacs, a la '.' in vi,
for instance.

I still use vi for quickie jobs like editing config files, as
I find it's more convenient to just type vi in the xterm I'm
already in, as opposed to switching desktops to the copy of
emacs I keep running at all times.

As always, YMMV.

> > Actually, if you're going to spend much time in UNIX, you should at
> > least have basic proficiency with vi since it's always there and
> > emacs may not be.
> There I agree entirely.  I do use vi for exactly this reason.

I'll pipe in with a vigorous 'aye' here too.

--agl