Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:45:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Scott Pilz <tech@squid.tznet.com>
Cc:        FREEBSD-QUESTIONS@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple IP's

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Scott Pilz wrote:

> Is it possible (and if so, how would I go about doing this) to run
> multiple IP's on a single network card (FreeBSD 3.1) to work the
> following way:
>
> 10.0.0.1 is running program A on open port 6000.
> 10.0.0.2 is running program B on open port 6000.
>
> Both ports are from different programs, upon telneting to these
> ports, you'll reach each different program.
>
> IP aliasing will *not* handle this obviously, so ifconfig is out
> of the picture. For example, I have tested this theory, and upon a
> port scan on any IP of the entire system, it will list *all* open
> ports on the system - thus, the same port cannot be opened for the
> second time using a different IP.

Indeed IP aliasing is your answer.  If you are talking about inetd
services, then you need to run a separate inetd's i.e.:

  inetd -a 10.0.0.1 /etc/inetd.conf.10.0.0.1
  inetd -a 10.0.0.2 /etc/inetd.conf.10.0.0.2

Most other network daemons also have a way to specify which IP to bind
to.  named, apache, etc... all do.

That should solve your problem.

This however opens a question for me:  does inetd (FreeBSD -Ww
version) allow for multiple /etc/host.allow files?  I can think of
ugly ways to do this (multiple tcpds?) but just wondering if this has
already been done.

-Paul.