Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 19:00:46 +0200
From:      Roel Bouwman <roel@bouwman.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netscape4 dumps core

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has experienced the following problem or has a clue to
it's cause:

Netscape 4 (4.08, 4.5 and 4.51 alike) crashes with a bus error on one of
my systems. On another machine there is no problem at all with the same
version of netscape.

Both machines are running 3.1-RELEASE (one installed from a CD dated Feb
16, 1999) and the other one installed through ftp.

The libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib/aout are exactly the same on both
systems, and there is not much difference in both kernel configurations.

The system where netscape dumps core is a PPro (Intel PR440FX motherboard),
1 processor, 256MB/memory). I have no other problems on this system
whatsoever, so I think we can safely exclude any hardware problem.

All that appears in the logfiles is:

May  4 18:26:07 enterprise /kernel: pid 9820 (communicator-4.0), uid 101: exited on signal 10

Regards,

Roel Bouwman.