Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:48:29 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who is interested in /dev/midi and /dev/synth ?

Luigi Rizzo:
 |>  |My audio driver does not support /dev/midi and /dev/synth at the
 |>  |moment. There are stubs for them though, and one (/dev/midi) is
 |> Does this include /dev/sequencer too?  I use this device all the time via
 |
 |yes it does.
 |
 |> drvmidi, xgmod, and some other apps on my AWE32 for playing MIDIs, MODs,
 |> 669s, etc. with AWE synth.
 |
 |in fact I believe timidity is a possible alternative to this. it takes
 |a midi file as input and produces the pcm samples using GUS-like patch
 |files. It takes some CPU but at current prices it is probably cheaper
 |to run timidity than buying a suitable sound card (and you can use the
 |extra cpu capacity for other things when you are not playing sounds...)

I use timidity on my Sparc at work and have used it on Linux boxes.  Nice
program if you don't have a card with wavetable support (which BTW are dirt
cheap nowadays).  However it sucks serious CPU, and the sound quality with
GUS patches doesn't touch that with the AWE wavetable.  I think I'll stay
with the awe driver for this type of stuff.

 |What I don't know is if it supports other file formats than midi. some
 |investigation would be more than welcome...

>From the man page, it sounds like just MIDIs, compressed or uncompressed.

Randy