Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:49:42 -0800
From:      Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading 5.3-Beta1 to 5.3-RELEASE

Just want to be sure that I do the right thing.

So, my version at present is 5.3-BETA1 and I want to install 5.3.
I supposed I could just install 5.3 over my current version, but=20
wouldn't an upgrade work just as well?

Finally, want to make sure I have the procedure right:

  =A0=A0=A0 go to: /usr/local/etc/cvsup
  =A0=A0=A0 issue the following command: /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2=20
stable-supfile
  =A0=A0=A0 once finished, then go to: /usr/src
  =A0=A0=A0 enter the commands:

make buildworld KERNCONF=3Dyourkernelname (for name, look to config file=20=

found in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/)
  make buildkernel KERNCONF=3Dyourkernelname (look to / )
  make installkernel KERNCONF=3Dyourkernelname
  reboot

  =A0=A0=A0 You should boot in single user mode (using boot -s from =
loader=20
prompt for example). Then continue with:

mergemaster -p =A0
  go to /usr/src and type: make installworld
  mergemaster
  update /dev (for 4.x only)
  reboot=