Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:46:47 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Graham Bentley <admin@cpcnw.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Selecting printer from apps core dumps. Howto debug?

--=-bkbqUHotSgnvRUtAlTPY

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 11:08 +0100, Graham Bentley wrote:
> Hi FreeBSD'ers !
>=20
> I have now a nice desktop setup with Xfce4 etc
> thanks to all help from the list (what a great=20
> place to be:)
>=20
> I have cups setup with a ppd to print to my usb=20
> HP Busines Inkjet 1200.
>=20
> It works perfectly from doing the printer test
> page from the cups webmin:631 page.
>=20
> In applications, if I select this printer, the=20
> app core dumps.
>=20
> Apps effected are Abiword, the printer admin
> xfprint4 in xfce4 and a few others.
>=20
> Who would I go about trying to diagnose this?
>=20
> Any help appreciated :)

I had similar problems until I removed lpr from the base. To do this, I
added this to /etc/make.conf:
	WITHOUT_LPR=3Dtrue
	CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=3Dyes
	NO_LPR=3Dyes

and then rebuilt and reinstalled world and cups.

Now I can print from everything - including, impressively, Lotus Notes
R5 running in wine.

You probably only need one of WITHOUT_LPR/NO_LPR, but darned if I know
which. The extra line in make.conf seemed simpler than trawling the
makefiles.

--=-bkbqUHotSgnvRUtAlTPY

--=-bkbqUHotSgnvRUtAlTPY--