Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 19:58:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tlambert@primenet.com
Subject:   Re: Adding a new user interface to FreeBSD administration

> Actually, you know, a registry implemented as Windows-style INI files
> would be pretty easy to hand-edit OR machine-edit. It's one of the few
> things that Microsoft came up with (if they did, I wouldn't be surprised
> to learn that they just appropriated something some app was using) that's
> actually reasonably well designed. And it'd make it REALLY easy to slip
> Samba in...

???

Samba implements a .INI file manipulation library.  But it is evil.

The reason for the Windows 95 registry implementation was the explosive
proliferation of .INI files.  I would hate for FreeBSD to go down that
road; it's already partly there, and that's what FreeBSD has been
moving *away* from.

Consider an installation of a tool that requires a shared library;
the shared library is reference counted in the Windows 95 Registry
so that (1) it can be deleted when it is no longer referenced, and
(2) so that it is not delete prematurely as part of a deinstall.

The ability to reuse shared objects without damaging the ability
to deinstall them is precisely the reason for a *central* information
repository.

Granted, that's less of an issue for FreeBSD, since there is so very
little commercial software available.  8-|.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.