Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 15:48:36 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Alan Batie <batie@rdrop.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange popper behavior

At 10:07 AM 9/26/98 -0700, Alan Batie wrote:
>I've got a weird situation where some of my users are getting the popper
>error:
>
>    -ERR Unable to process From lines (envelopes), change recognition modes.
>
>On the surface, this just looks like a From line corruption problem, but
>if I copy the mailbox to a test account and access it as that user, it
>works fine.  I ran ktrace on popper while one of the users having the
>problem accessed his mailbox, and the block of data read just before the
>error was logged looks fine --- no leading "From "'s in the text, the
>date formats on the From lines are normal, etc.  I don't suppose anyone
>has seen the before and has the magic bullet?

This may not be related, but a similar problem with a user/password that would not work with popper, but would with telnet and ftp.  Rather puzzling, since I could change the username or password, but otherwise it would give password incorrect.  Even if I redid the password and verified the DES was different.  This was with qpoppper 2.50 on a 2.2.6 system.  Never checked if this was a problem on 2.2.7 with the lastest port.

Try changing the password or username by one character and see what happens.

Certainly an odd annoyance.

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net