Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:00:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, gallatin@cs.duke.edu, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printing vm_offset_t's

> > %qx is the accepted draft standard methid of printing quad values.
> > You will need to cast , in any case, if vm_offset_t is not considered
> > a pointer type by the debugger, or it will not push sufficient information
> > onto the stack.
>
> Is vm_offset_t always a 'quad' and what the heck is a 'quad'? C is
> *sooooo* broken in that it can't pony up to the bar and say what it wants
> in terms of sizes...

I blame ANSI X3J11 for introducing "const" and "volatile" and
attempting to introduce "noalias" and being lazy about linker
technology so that compiler writers didn't have to do as much
work, shoving the job off on compiler users (after all, compiler
writers outnumber compiler users, right?), instead of biting the
bullet and defining sized types.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---