Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 16:32:06 +0100
From:      Joakim Henriksson <murduth@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Jai Dhar <jdhar@curry.turban2000.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mplayer problem

> 	I'm not sure if I should be using this mailing list for
> multimedia-related questions/problems, but if I'm not, give me hell :p
> Otherwise, I'd appreciate help with this problem..
> I'm using the latest build of Mplayer, "MPlayer 0.60-2.95.3", and my CPU
> usage redlines at 100% when playing any clips of any sort. I'm using a
> P4 1.4 with 1 gig of ram, so I dont think my box is the issue, and i'm
> trying to use SDL as the vo driver. x11 has same problem, but I did
> not have this problem in linux (not that linux is better :p), does
> anyone have any suggestions/ideas? Thank you

Which XFree86 version are you using? MPlayer is very verbose about what it detects, does it say that it couldn't use acceleration? This sounds like lack of video acceleration. I don't think there is video acceleration for XFree86-3.x which was standard until very recently. You had to build XFree86-4 yourself to get it.
--
regards/ Joakim