Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 13:35:36 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        scottm2@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIC

On Fri, Sep 19, 1997 at 08:36:58PM +0100, Scott McDonald wrote:
> Hi. I am a very experienced user of FreeBSD. I am having a strange
> problem I hope you can shed some light on. A particular server I am
> working on has an AT/Lantic network card. It is ISA and when probed the
> system finds it to be ed1, irq 5, 0x300, and also prints the hardware
> address of the card to the console. When going through the install, when
> I initiate the install after the ip addressing screen the install
> stalls. I have checked the debugger screen and see a ed1 device timeout.
> This machine is intended to be a dual boot server, and has NT already
> installed. According to NT the card is IRQ 2, address 0x300. I have
> tried using these parameters but still no go. Is this a memory address
> thing?(it is set to 0xd800). Any suggestions you may have would be
> appreciated. Unfortunately I have no pci slots left in the machine, so I
> must use the at card. I have used many ne2000 variants in the past with
> no problems.

You're running into a couple of wrinkles about IRQs here.

1.  The probes lie about the IRQ.  It's what they want to have, not
    what they find the board is set to.  So probably the board really
    is set to IRQ2.

2.  IRQ 2 ceased to exist as an IRQ line when the PC/AT was introduced
    back in 1984.  Instead, IRQ 9 was used to handle the interrupt.
    Sometimes it's still called IRQ 2, unfortunately, but our kernel
    doesn't understand that.

Try setting the IRQ to 9 with the visual config.

> The only other thing is its a 10baseT/coax combo card. Is there a
> parameter I can add at install to force the card into 10baseT mode?

Yes, look at the link0, link1 and link2 parameters.  Unfortunately,
the man page doesn't specify which one to use for UTP, and I can't see
anything obvious in the source code.  link2 is supposed to select
AUI.  Try selecting various combinations.

> In the past dual mode cards have given some sort of interface
> parameter message on boot, but not this time. Help me...

It might mean that the driver doesn't understand the selection
mechanism.  Which version are you using?

Greg