Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 00:37:14 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Realtek

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 05:44:25PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> Are you sure you were generating "wire speed" packets - this is about
> 200,000 packets/sec at Fast speed.  "ping -f" runs at whatever rate

148,800kpps

> In order to get 200,000 pps, you're going to need 5-10 hosts
> generating traffic, each with a good NIC and connected to the test

one is enough as long as it is sufficiently fast (750MHz and above
in my experiments), you use a C program to call sendto() and
generate UDP packets, and your network card can cope with the
outgoing traffic (e.g. there is no way the 'fxp' can transmit
over ~120kpps no matter how fast the CPU is; 'xl' and several 'dc'
supported chips can do the job. Haven't tried other cards.

Using polling on the sender side helps but it is not
fundamental.

	cheers
	luigi