Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 23:38:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Dekkers <psd@worldaccess.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3c509 networkcards

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Paul Dekkers wrote:

> Is it true that 3c509 cards are buggy in the 2.2.1 kernel?
> I have a machine with 2 of them currently running Linux, which goes well,
> but thinking about trying FreeBSD to see how it works on an internet
> server (it's not the primary server ;-)) but wondering if it's ok, because
> that machine got 2 3c509?

Potentially, YMMV.  I haven't had any trouble with it myself, however.

> By another way, is there a limit on how many ethernet cards I can put in
> one box? I currently run a Linux box somewhere with 6 networkcards (yes,
> it's a router) but wondering if that could be possible with FreeBSD too...
> Is FreeBSD faster in routing?

AFAIK there's no limit on how many Ethernet interfaces you can enable,
just as long as you have the devices to back them up.  if you didn't want
to use some of the cards, you could just neglect to tell the kernel about
them.  To drive more than one card, you'll have to rebuild your kernel,
but that's very simple.

> (Yes I really need to compare which os the best is for me, I still don't
> exacltly know, FreeBSD seems more stable, sometimes one of my linux
> servers crashes... :-( (because of too many processes or smt. too heavy
> load))

Yup. :-)