Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 16:08:06 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "Ben Smithurst" <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: better than pine?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Smithurst" <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>

| On the subject of Pine, can someone explain this?
|
| ben@strontium:~$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/{mutt,slrn,pine}
| -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   367592  7 Nov  1999 /usr/local/bin/mutt*
| -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2374520  5 Jun  1999 /usr/local/bin/pine*
| -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   171532  2 Jan 21:20 /usr/local/bin/slrn*
|
| Pine is over four times bigger than my mail client and news client put
| together.  Why??  From what I've seen, Pine is a featureless pile of
| junk.  It doesn't even do colours or threading.  How on earth is Pine
| over 2MB??  Is it entering the "most bloated communications program"
| competition alongside Outlook Express or something?
|
| </rant>

Being a Pine user and not a user of the other two, do they include a
built-in editor of any value?  An IMAP client?  That warm, user-friendly
interface that reminds you of your first UNIX account during the heady days
at University, that girl with the soft, brown hair, er, nevermind.

(Although even pico+mutt+slrn < pine).